WHAT IS MINDFULNESS-BASED STRESS REDUCTION?
NEUROSCIENCE OF MINDFULNESS
MINDFULNESS-BASED STRESS REDUCTION
Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn's Highly Acclaimed Course in Mindful Meditation
FALL COURSE DETAILS
Course Dates and Times:
Sundays of January 26-March 15
Meditation Retreat Day: Saturday, March 7
The Yoga Casa
3919 Colleyville Blvd. Suite A
Colleyville, Tx 76034
MBSR is an 8-week course that teaches a form of meditation called mindfulness, which is the ability to skillfully direct your attention to the present moment. MBSR was developed by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts Medical School in 1979 and is empirically supported with over three decades of research. Research shows MBSR improves emotional well-being, cognitive functioning, and physical health.
This course offers you a systematic method to better manage the stressors in your life and tools to access your inner resources for coping, growing, and healing. You will explore the interplay of your mind and body and learn how to change your relationships to your unconscious maladaptive coping patterns to life that are a hidden source of your stress.
Mindfulness allows you to reclaim your power when meeting stressful moments in life as opposed to getting tossed around by the waves of your emotions. It allows for greater clarity of mind, inner-peace, and emotional equanimity.
- Reduces stress
- Effective for managing chronic pain
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Rewires the brain
- Decreases activation in area of the brain that triggers fight or flight (i.e. reduces anxiety)
- Alleviates insomnia and promotes better sleep
- Reduces fatigue and lethargy
- Enhances relaxation and well-being
- Increases energy and zest for life
- Improves focus and attention
- Reduces migraines
- Improves executive functioning and short-term memory
- Enhances one's relationship to food and eating habits
MBSR consists of 8 consecutive weekly 2 ½ hour sessions and a meditation retreat day.
The course includes:
- Guided instruction in mindful meditation practices
- Guided mindful movement through gentle stretching and yoga
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness
- Didactic discussions on the nature of stress and it’s effects in your life
- Exercises to discover your maladaptive coping patterns and insight in how to change them
- Daily home practices to generalize skills
- Guided audio files for home practice
- Electronic workbook